Sunday, March 13, 2016

Gas Mileage (good MPG)

One of the first things people asked us when we got the Mighty Fit was what sort of gas mileage it got. That's the sort of sensible question that people around here ask because let's face it, they're sensible people. Rather than worry about big flashy cars with leather seats, they want practical cars that get good gas mileage... for the most part. Let's just say that we're not in LA.

Now this Mighty Fit is about 7 years old, and back when we got it we were told it got between 34-37 mpg, or something like that. We couldn't say for sure until we tested it, so naturally I tried just that. The method I used was taught to me by my father in law, RR, who for the record knows his stuff. When he tells me something about science or engineering, I can say with near certainty that he knows what he's talking about. He's an engineer and a former professor. He said he calculates it by filling the tank, resetting the trip meter, driving until half the tank is gone, then refilling it. From there you can divide the miles on the trip meter by the gallons of gas, and voila! You have miles per gallon.

I only tested this once, and it was a few years back, but I kid you not when I came up with about 38 miles to the gallon, if not a fraction more. I was all the more impressed because we don't do as much highway driving as you might think, and I prefer going on smaller roads. Pretty impressive stuff, if you ask me. Then again, what else would I expect from the Mighty Fit?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jeffrey Lindsey for the pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment